I’ll make this short and sweet. Donald Trump’s campaign is built on three pillars:
- He will make foreign leaders fear and respect us, because he’s tough
- Relatedly, he will make great deals for America, because he can strong arm others
- Unlike “crooked Hillary” and the establishment, he will never lie to you, and will tell it like it is
In one news cycle, it is possible he has blasted those three pillars with dynamite.
In his press conference with President Peña Nieto of Mexico, Trump insisted that there was no discussion of who would pay for “the wall.”
Of course, in the US, Trump won’t shut up about who will pay for the wall (“MEXICO!”). So, to chicken out when in front of the Mexican president kind of chips away at Pillar 1.
But news that President Peña Nieto says the issue was discussed, with him telling Trump that Mexico wouldn’t pay for it blasts all three pillars.
- Trump was stood up to by a foreign leader and Trump apparently didn’t push back. Tough guy image blown up? Check.
- Trump couldn’t begin to cut a deal, because the Mexican president wasn’t afraid to stand up to him. Image as the deal maker busted? Check.
- Trump lied to Americans about being stood up to and what was discussed. End of “He tells it to us straight?” Check.
It remains to be seen if media chases this story down, or if any new details emerge. Also, no word from Trump’s camp as I write this.
But if it does take root, three pillars of his campaign being blown up equals an implosion.
This could be the game changing moment of 2016.